Prerequisites: FOR INTERMEDIATE SKILLED PISTOL SHOOTERS ONLY – You must be able to:
- lock your slide to the rear without assistance,
- demonstrate knowledge and ability to execute safe pistol handling techniques,
- demonstrate knowledge and ability to execute safe range safety skill
- Load, fire, and unload your firearm safely without assistance
This course EVALUATES your skills, it does teach you these basic pistol skills. If you cannot demonstrate the above you will be dismissed and asked to return after you’ve received additional training like our CCW Prep Course.
Eligibility: Must be at least 21 years old to apply for the CA CCW permit. Those attending for training purposes must by 18 years of age or older.
Length of course: 8 hrs – 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM with one-hour lunch break. (Due to Covid restrictions, this course will be taught via blended format. Students will do home study and exam prior to the event date. Students must pass the exam in order to attend the range portion. The range portion will be conducted at Rainbow Shooting Range at the time indicated on your ticket)
This course fulfills the firearms safety and qualification requirement needed to obtain a concealed carry permit for Riverside and San Diego County. Applicants must demonstrate knowledge and proficiency with each firearm they will be listing on their permit with emphasis placed on safety. Applicants must be able to safely draw their firearm from an outside-the-waistband holster and engage targets accurately from 7,10, and 15 yards for Riverside County, and 3, 5, and 7 yards for San Diego and Los Angeles County (scoring 70% or better to pass), then safely re-holster their pistol. Applicants will also be responsible for reacting to and safely correcting malfunctions without assistance from range staff.
Riverside County CCW Application
To assist you with the registration process and good cause statements, go to these sites:
STUDENT HANDOUT– Student handout will be sent to you via e-mail about a week prior to the course date. Study the student handout, complete your exam, then send to us via e-mail. You must pass with 90% in order to attend the live fire portion of the course. We will be discussing the information in class.
IF YOU ARE NOT AN INTERMEDIATE PISTOL SHOOTERS OR WANT TRAINING PRIOR TO THIS COURSE…
CCW Prep Course – Beginner/inexperienced shooters are highly encouraged to take our CCW Prep/Defensive Handgun Course to bring their skills up to the intermediate level before attending this course.
Those participants who cannot demonstrate safe pistol handling while drawing from holster will be asked to leave with no refund. This is for the safety of all other participants.
- All pistols you will be including in your CCW permit
- Modification -No limitations as long as it is safe and legal. Absolutely no modifications of factory safety features are allowed.
- At least 2 magazines for each pistol or 2 speed loaders for revolvers
- 100 rounds for practice and live fire exercises.
- Riverside County – 18 rounds for each pistol you will be qualifying with. (15 rounds for revolvers with 5 round cylinders)
- San Diego County – 15 rounds for each pistol you will be qualifying with.
- OUTSIDE THE WAISTBAND rigid holster with retention capability ONLY for your main training gun. NO nylon/leather one-size-fits-all holsters! No leg, shoulder, inside waistband, ankle or off-body holsters. The holster must be made for your specific gun model. If you have more than one gun, general purpose holster or IWB holster is acceptable for your other guns.
- Eye protection – must be ballistic plastic and wrap around the face. If you wear prescription glasses you MUST wear wrap around safety glasses over your prescription glasses!!!
- Ear protection –
- ELECTRONIC HEARING PROTECTION MANDATORY! This is for the safety of all participants. (You can rent for $10)
- No Shorts.
- Shoes/boots. No open toed shoes
- High neck shirt. No tank tops
- Sturdy belt
- Hat with bill to protect you from hot brass
- Black ink pen
- Range fee for non-members of Rainbow Shooting Range – $30 (Cash or check made to RAI will be collected at the range) DO NOT CALL RAINBOW RANGE FOR COURSE INFORMATION. CALL US (951)970-1018.
Failure to bring required equipment/gear will result in dismissal from course.
- Magazine holster (optional)
- Folding Chair
Course fee includes 3 pistols.
Additional pistols $30 each (Select INVOICE at checkout and we’ll send you an invoice with total cost. You can pay using credit card or PayPal)
You will be receiving an e-mail a few days prior to the course date. Ensure you check your spam folder and/or allow email@example.com to be accepted as NOT spam.
REGISTRATION: Only one student per registration. Each student must submit their own registration.